- For a list of my publications and profiles please visit the Publications page.
- For a list of my research projects visit the Projects page.
- For a list of my students and dissertations visit the Students page.
Mohammad Ali Sanjari is a full professor of biomechanics at Iran University of Medical Sciences, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, where he teaches analysis of the sensory-motor systems, dynamical systems theory, applied biomechanics in human movement, nonlinear dynamics, sports biomechanics, and gait analysis. His research interests mainly focus on movement variability, nonlinear dynamics and time-series analysis, complex systems, rehabilitation engineering, clinical gait and motion analysis, sports biomechanics, clinical biomechanics, and numerical analysis. He has published several research papers in these fields. His experiments also involve in robotics and exoskeletal assistive devices, powered prosthetics, and applied electronics.
His administrative experiences include Deputy of Research at Rehabilitation Research Center, IUMS Director of Health Technology and Technology Development Manager at Iran Health Science and Technology Park.
- MBA, University of Tehran, Faculty of Entrepreneurship (UT), 2018.
- PhD in Biomechanics, Amirkabir University of Technology (AUT), department of Biomedical Engineering (BME), 2010.
- MSc in Biomechanics, Sharif University of Technology (SUT), department of Mechanical Engineering (ME), Biomechanics Lab., 2003.
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering, faculty of Engineering (ME), Buali Sina University (BASU), 2000.
- Ph.D. Dissertation: Nonlinear dynamic analysis of musculoskeletal fatigue based on kinematic data. Supervisor: Dr. Parnianpour.
- M.Sc. dissertation: 3D simulation model of musculoskeletal lumbar spine for the studies of static and dynamic analyses of its Kinematic/Kinetic states and strength prediction. Supervisor: Dr. Parnianpour, Advisor: Dr. Farahmand.
- B.Sc. dissertation: Finite element analysis of stress concentrations due to wholes in metallic parts. Supervisor: Dr. Majzoobi, Advisor: Dr. Farrahi.
Interests & Experiences
- Movement variability (esp. UCM and GEM methods)
- Dynamics of postural control and CoP analysis.
- Complex Systems.
- Nonlinear dynamics and time-series analysis.
- Recurrence Quantification Analysis.
- Electromyographic studies (surface EMG).
- Clinical Gait and Motion analysis.
- Sports Biomechanics.
- Clinical Biomechanics.
- Rehabilitation Engineering.
- Computer programming to facilitate biomechanical analyses such as movement variability, gait analysis and bio-potential signal processing.
- Innovative design of mechanical setups for biomechanical researches.
- Experiments on: Numerical Analysis Programming, Powered Prosthetics, Applied Electronics, Robotics and Exo-skeletal Assistive Devices.
- Mechanical simulator of ankle sprain (IR.Pat. No. 31901, Date: 25-June-2005, 1384/4/4)
This device is used to perturb ankle at limited range of inversion angles while EMG signals are recorded. The accompanying software computes muscle latencies and sequence of activations. For more info see the related publications and this page: APS.
- AFO for knee osteoarthritis, 2018 (139750140003004782), IR.Pat. No. 98300.
- A device for measuring pelvic floor muscle forces, 2018 (139750140003003465), IR.Pat. No. 99104.
- A device for adjusting stiffness and equilibrium point of joints, 2019 (139750140003009051).
- Platelet-Rich Plasma separation kit, 2020 (139850140003009737), IR.Pat.No. 103314.
- Young Assistant Professors Award, National Elites Foundation, 2008.
- Appointed best researcher of the year 2008 (1387) at faculty of rehabilitation and 20th best in the IUMS university.
- Young Researcher Award (27-Dec-2005 , 1384/10/6). The 11th Razi Festival on Medical Sciences (NRCMS).
- Gold Medal: Men’s single Badminton, TUMS league championship (21-Feb-2012, 1390/12/2).
- Member of Medical Sciences Innovation and Technologies Committee at National Institute for Medical Research (NIMAD) , since July, 2021.
- Member of Biomechanics, Technology and Sports Engineering Board, National Olympic & Paralympic Academy I.R. Iran (NOPA IRIRAN), since 2021.
- Member of Change and Innovation Work-group, Iran University of Medical Sciences (IUMS). (Since Feb. 10, 2016 )
- Member of Rehabilitation Committee, Health Technology Development Office (HTDO), Deputy of Research and Technology, Ministry of Health and Medical Education, I.R. Iran. (Since May 18, 2015).
- Member of Knowledge Translation & Exchange (KTE) scientific committee, IUMS, since Oct. 2014. (Link)
- Scientific board of ICBME – ISBME.
- Member of IUMS Incubation Center for Medical Equipments (2010-2011).
- Member of Iranian Elite Foundation (Bonyad), since Dec. 2008.
- Member and referee of Innovations Committee (at HBI) of Ministry of Health and Medical Education (MOHME) on behalf of IUMS (since 22-May-2006, 1385/3/1).
- Iranian Society of Mechanical Engineers ISME, since 1999 (1378).
- Iranian Society of Instruments and Control Engineers ISICE, since 1999 (1378).
- Editorial Board: International Journal of Motor Control and Learning (IJMCL) – link.
- Journal of Biomechanics (JoB).
- PLOS ONE, a peer-reviewed open access scientific journal published by the Public Library of Science.
- Sports Biomechanics – link.
- Journal of Sports Rehabilitation, Human Kinetics (JSR).
- Journal of Healthcare Engineering (JHE).
- Iranian National Science Foundation (INSF).
- Iranian Research Organization for Science and and Technology (IROST).
- Asian Journal of Sports Medicine (PubMed indexed, in English) – link.
- Journal of Modern Rehabilitation (quarterly in Persian) – link.
- Iran Occupational Health (quarterly in Persian) – link.
- Journal of Rehabilitation (quarterly in Persian) – link.
- Modares Mechanical Engineering (monthly in Persian) – MJMEC.
- Design and fabrication of electro-mechanical lab setups.
- EMG signal processing.
- Computer Simulation and Analysis of Musculo-Skeletal Systems.
- Technical Programming: MATLAB, LabVIEW.
- Technical Drawing and Solid Modeling: Autodesk Mechanical DeskTop.
- Applied Electronics: Schematic and PCB design/analysis of unsophisticated circuits, A/D Conversion.
- Neuroscience of Human Movement for PhD students of neuroscience.
- Analysis of the Sensory-Motor System for PT PhD students.
- Advanced theories in occupational therapy for OT PhD students.
- Dynamical systems theory for PhD students of Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Sports Sciences.
- Nonlinear dynamics.
- Sports Biomechanics for Sports Medicine students (Winter 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014).
- Applied Biomechanics (every other semester since winter 2004) for TO, OT and PT students.
- EMG signal processing for PT students (PhD & M.Sc.)
- Gait Analysis.
- Applied Electronics for Mechanical Engineering students at SUT.
- Technical Drawing and Mechanical Modeling.
Invited Talks / Keynote Speaker
- “Performance and neuro-mechanics interactions: introducing new methods”, Fifth Basic and Clinical Neuroscience Congress (BCNC), Iran University of Medical Sciences, Dec. 7-9, 2016, Tehran, Iran.
- “Advanced analysis methods of movement variability”, The First National Congress of Sports Sciences in Alzahra University, Feb. 24, 2016, Tehran, Iran.
- “Advanced methods in postural analysis and their applications”, The 14th Iranian Congress of Audiology, May 19-21, 2015, Tehran, Iran.
- “Analysis and Interpretation of Movement Variability: Current Perspectives”, The 14th National and the 1st International Seminar in Specific Spinal Physical Therapy, 25 Dec. 2013, USWR, Tehran, Iran.
- “Concepts of stability”, Biomechanics panel discussion, 12th seminar on Spine, 29 Dec. 2011, USWR, Tehran, Iran.
- Knowledge Translation, Exchange and Commercialization (KTEC), (August 2015).
- Variability and dynamics systems theory. Presented at Shiraz university, Faculty of rehabilitation, (April 2014).
- Businesses Model Generation for academic entrepreneurs (2013 & 2015).
- Practice and Theory of EMG using Biometrics DataLINK system (2010).
- Practice and Theory of Dynamometry using Isokinetic System 4. Presented at Semnan University, Faculty of rehabilitation, (2010).
- Motion Analysis using Qualisys system (presented at Esfahan University, Faculty of rehabilitation) (2010).
- Practice and Theory of Electro-goniometry using Biometrics DataLINK system (2009).
- Introduction to wave, EMG and its applications at SSRC (July 2007).
- Human Motion Analysis at SSRC (July 2007).
- Instrumentation for Gait Analyses at IUMS (Dec 2004).
- Gait Analysis at IUMS (Dec 2004).
- Various educational workshops on surface EMG, Isokinetic, Motion Analysis, and Applied Statistics held at RRC since 2008.